We publish a set of contracts signed by the Slovak Land Fund in 1993 – 2014. This dataset contains 22-thousand contracts from a total of about 45-thousand contracts that the Land Fund signed since 1993.
These contracts were originally published the Land Fund’s website in an unsearchable and un browsable form – without descriptive data and with limits on how many contracts a single user can view at a time.
Through crowdsourcing – with the help of more than a hundred volunteers – we added descriptive data to the contracts: signatories, dates, geographical areas etc.. The data thus became searchable and users can more easily discover cases of mismanagement, corruption or conflict of interest.
The dataset contains lease and purchase contracts and contracts for the exchange of land.
What to be aware of:
- Land Fund deleted a lot of the data from the original contracts, for example some information on land prices, land area etc. These data are missing from the dataset.
- Descriptive data were supplemented manually by more than a hundred volunteers, the quality of the data corresponds this fact. Although we have checked and cleaned the data before publication, it was not possible to get the data into the optimal form and completely avoid errors and inconsistencies. It is recommended to check all information directly in the scan of the contract prior to its use.
- If an entry doesn’t indicate a specific person who signed the contract for partner nr. 2, it means that the contract was signed by the Land Fund’s Director General. In other cases, volunteers wrote down the names of those persons who signed contracts instead of the Director General (eg. Deputy).
- The data are not yet complete. We processed the contract from newest to oldest, but we haven’t yet completed any individual year.
- Signing dates are missing in a part of the contracts. We specify at least the year of origin for each contract. This information is taken from the Land Fund’s website and may not always be correct – in many cases we have found errors.
- The data in the column “Currency” was added based on dates of signing or based on years (SKK to 2008, EUR since 2009). We have noticed several cases in which the Land Fund stated the date of signing incorrectly or when the contract was attributed to a year incorrectly. In such cases, it may happen that the information about currency is not correct.
- The column “Number of contracts according to the Land Fund” refers to the internal number under which the contract is registered by the Land Fund.